Unlike many of my peers, I protested spending my spring break outside of Iowa’s borders. Or I was just too broke to afford a week trip to the beach, but I made due and spent a week back at home in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Even though I didn’t have a beach, I did have my mother’s cooking, which, to me, is the next best thing. Over the week Mom cooked a variety of meals, Yet, there one new recipe, her chicken Parmesan, which will be receiving the blue ribbon from me for the week.
Chicken Parmesan by Kim
Ingredients (sorry my mom never measures anything else so this might be slightly vague. I’ll do my best to walk you through the recipe!)
- 4 chicken breasts – cut in half long ways
- Italian spices (a mixture of oregano, basil, parsley, salt and pepper)
- Bread crumbs
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 box of fettuccine noodles
- Marinara sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat your oven to 400º and begin boiling a large pan of water
- Create your breading by mixing together the bread crumbs, Italian spices (probably 1-2 tablespoons), a dash of minced garlic (to taste) and Parmesan cheese.
- Dredge, or dunk, you chicken in milk and roll in breading until coated and set on a broiling pan.
- Cook chicken for 20-30 minutes (cut the thickest piece to check if everything is cooked).
- While chicken is cooking, add your noodles to your water and follow the directions on the box to see how long they boil for (usually around 15 minutes).
- Pour your can of marinara sauce into a small saucepan and heat on low so it will be nice and warm by the time the chicken is finished, make sure to stir every few minutes so it doesn’t burn.
- To plate, set your chicken piece on a heaping of noodles, pour marinara sauce over and add mozzarella cheese to top it all off. Pair with a Caesar salad and bread sticks and enjoy! 🙂