As you grow and change, there are some things that stick with you through everything; like my mom’s smothered chicken recipe. I am one of six children, so Mom was constantly searching for quick dinner ideas. Since lobster and caviar were out of our price range, let’s just say I ate a ton of chicken. There were some recipes Mom attempted to fix that would leave me sitting in my chair for hours, refusing to eat and crying because I didn’t like the peas or broccoli Mom mixed into her stir fry. Then there were others, like her smothered chicken, which would be happily devoured without complaint.
The other night, my old roommate declared she wanted to make her family’s cheesy potatoes. This quickly led to the brilliant idea to create a feast consisting of our mother’s old recipes: Andrea cooked her potatoes, Maddy cooked baked beans, and I cooked some smothered chicken.
I love this recipe because it’s simple, cheap and still one of my favorite recipes of all time and today, lucky you, I’ve decided to share our fixings on my blog.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 package of bacon or Bacon Bits
- Sliced Colby Jack cheese
- Italian Seasoning
- 1 bottle of BBQ sauce – I like Famous Dave’s Sweet and Zesty BBQ Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400º F
- Place the thawed chicken breasts on a edged cookie sheet, sprinkle with Italian seasoning (as much or little as you like) and bake for 15 minutes
- While chicken is cooking, fry up your bacon
- When chicken is almost done baking (cut at the thickest section of the chicken breast to make sure the meat is cooked through), remove the pan and add the toppings – if you’re not a picky eater, like me, feel free to add some sliced mushrooms or spicy peppers
- Bake until cheese is melted and hot
At the end of the evening, when our stomachs were filled and happy, my friends and I were impressed with our cooking. It took us back to the days our mothers used to take care of us, except now, we had to wash our own dishes.